Friday, January 10, 2014

she runs past the pain

she's got one left knee
painted with iodine
a girl on a cot
with huge question eyes

what the crap
that's all she wants
to know

she is more her grandmother
more her father
more of anyone
else but me

the blue gloves
draw out fluid from her flesh
drawn from my flesh
and I don't know
anything

except

what I've given her
and what I've lost
and what she takes
or leaves

twitching that sheaf
of blonde hair

and I have no answer
but a curtain
of silence over her future

when she kicks that soccer ball
she's breaking out
she's this brightness slashing
every barrier

and
I will her to
emerge

while I

run

past my pain

No comments:

when trees as gilded as bees

Above the 61st parallel, the colors of Autumn mark our parting with the bees, and the last days of real warmth. I had begun to transl...

popular on this site