Thursday, February 06, 2014

fire mother

When she stretches out her scaly wings to yawn, they could cover the side of a barn. She increases, while I shrink. She is proudly crimson, a color I have always feared.

Every morning, she reaches into her spleen-pocket and places a tiny, steaming coal on my tongue. It reeks of frankincense. Then she teaches me to speak aloud. I am shy, but she is no shrinking violet. No, Ma'am.

We were not always such great friends. When we reunited, she burned me with a howling rage for epochs, until I became nearly transparent. I dreamed I had no flesh on my right wrist, only white bones, and on my left--a prosthetic metal arm with a flesh hand dangling. See, the skin has grown back now. Where the shackles had been. In order to avoid a charred odor in the kitchen, she does refer the cookie baking to me.

I ask her what she did all that time, while I was gone.

"I was the one who was being burned, before," she says. "You were the one who was not there for me, when I needed you. You are not going to be allowed to let them hurt me again. Or to be with someone who does not know you. That is how I became a dragon."

And then, suddenly, she is aloft, heading for the horizon, tugging at me strangely, like a kite on an invisible string.

What is this peculiar sensation, I wonder. A warmth. A different sort of flame. My dragon darts back to my shoulder and whispers hoarsely, "That. Is love."









4 comments:

bluestorm said...

that is an astounding write, Iulia!

Iulia Flame said...

Thank you. Much love.

Cheryl and Janet Snell said...

This draws the reader right in.Is it part of a larger whole?

Iulia Flame said...

Thank you, Cheryl. I think it will be part of a larger whole. Here is a link to another bit:

http://flameinthesnow.blogspot.com/2014/01/willow-mothers.html

#BiteSizeBallet No.5

Kitty Phetla, Joburg Ballet If I were the Indian Ocean or the Atlantic Ocean, I'd sneak bits of myself up onto the back of a cl...

popular on this site