Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pogudin in lieu of dark chocolate, and a red fez


Waltz, Tango, Romance: a concert given by Oleg Pogudin on September 30, 2011 in the Svetlanov Hall of Moscow's International House of Music. In this video, Pogudin performs a grouping of Russian romances, including one written by Alexander Vertinsky, and some songs in Yiddish, French and German as well.

Shhhhhhhhhhh.....let these silken whispers glide past your ears; may it not be widely known that I am actually a clandestine truffle...er...Pogudin addict--his balmy terra-cotta voice is too decadent a luxury, a cacao nib beyond my means--a hazelnut encased in dark ganache, berry infused bon-bon, salted caramel, Amaretto bittersweet....

Oleg Pogudin is Vertinsky reincarnate without Pierrot--his persona finds no need to hide behind a mask. When, impossibly, improbably, Pogudin raises his swan-hands, gesticulating, in this version of Vertinsky's "Above a rosy sea" (8 minutes into the concert)-- the spirit of the Silver Age spills over onto the swooning spectators.

__________________________________________

A note of gratitude to Red Fez, a literary party I don't have to crash, because I've been invited. Red Fez has just released its 64th issue. To quote the infamous Doc Sigerson on the subject: "If you think you may be the next Orwell or the next Montaigne, put pen to paper and step up into the big leagues of essay writing. The intrepid editors at Red Fez are hungry for submissions of finely crafted nonfiction."

6 comments:

bluestorm said...

ahh, such a melliferous voice! a true delight.
devoured with a smile. thank you, Iulia.

Iulia Flame said...

:-)

So glad to have shared one of my "discoveries" -- !

Cheryl Snell said...

Lovely video. And big congrats for the Red Fez acceptance. We like that zine and it's fun to really rip on the bio.

Iulia Flame said...

Thank you! I appreciate your congratulations.

Oh...the bio. I had forgotten that the Fez has an older bio of mine, and when I saw it, I was actually rather shocked--did I really, truly write that, I wondered?....but I left it in place. For now. :)

Take care.

Cheryl and Janet Snell said...

I just read your harrowing,inspiring, uplifting essay. I had a mother like you, with the patience and love to see me, a child born with spina bifida and hydrocephalus, through to a rewarding adulthood. Cheers!

C

Iulia Flame said...

That warms my heart to hear, Cheryl/Janet. I have much to be grateful for. My children are all my teachers; my son has taught me more than I can express.

En plein air - in memoriam Andrew Bellon

A dreamless sleep falls from the shimmering leaves. --Sappho fragment, tr. Andrew Bellon I changed, thickened, ...

popular on this site