Monday, February 17, 2014

reply

Dear M.,

In answer to your tree, your red scarf, winter, the horizon: I pause slowly, I tremble, as if hovering before a painting with a pulse.

In such a wide space has the oak of my solitude stretched its limbs, the horizon has become a matter of climbing or descending, and depends upon the angle of the shadows. The longer the silences, the more often an unseen conductor in my spine has lifted his baton, after which strings were plucked, wind instruments resonated, cymbals clashed, and melodies appeared, lyrics rising, ready for my pen.

But today I have somehow become as a small wave dashed upon the rocks, again and yet, coincidentally, again, upon the words of your letter.

If you only knew--your delight should mostly dwell within yourself, for you knew not who you were until you recognized some reflection in my words, of your own soul.

A particular, an uncommon star, rising in the Eastern sky above the dusty vineyard tonight, bears your name.

R.



4 comments:

bluestorm said...

after reading this, i am grateful for the alphabet,
so that letters and poems could be written, the silence allowed to speak.
thank you.

Iulia Flame said...

I, too--grateful--humbled--

Cheryl and Janet Snell said...

exquisite pairing

Iulia Flame said...

Gratitude. xx

Emerald

I let you go, but you remain where devotion lingers with leaf-curtains drawn; and dreams gather in pools of verdigris; where c...

popular on this site