Sunday, April 20, 2014

Japanese Archery (Aleksandr Wat)

1.
The hand tells the bowstring:
    Obey me.
The bowstring answers the hand:
    Draw Valiantly.
The bowstring tells the arrow:
    O arrow, fly.
The arrow answers the bowstring:
    Speed my flight.
The arrow tells the target:
    Be my light.
The target answers the arrow:
    Love me. 
2.
The target tells arrow, bowstring, hand and eye:
    Ta twam asi.
Which means in a sacred tongue:
    I am Thou.
3.
(Footnote of a Christian:
O Mother of God,
watch over the target, the bow, the arrow
and the archer).
—Translated by Richard Lourie

An Apple-Tree at a Stream, Maksymilian Gierymski, 1868

3 comments:

Sigerson said...

Not familiar with his work, but this is excellent stuff.

bluestorm said...

Iulia, this is divine. Love it! Thank you.

Iulia Flame said...

So glad you enjoyed! Just discovered this poet and I saved the poem to the blog partly as a sort of bookmark--

take care!

En plein air - in memoriam Andrew Bellon

A dreamless sleep falls from the shimmering leaves. --Sappho fragment, tr. Andrew Bellon I changed, thickened, ...

popular on this site