Monday, May 12, 2014

Земфира - Кукушка (Zemfira - Kukushka)



A Viktor Tsoi song. Zemfira really does a good job. Tsoi is a hard act to follow.

The message is as timely as ever.

How many songs remain unwritten,
tell me, cuckoo? Sing....
should I live in the city or in exile,
lie as a stone or burn as a star, as a star?

My sun, look at me:
my palm has become a fist.
If there is powder, give it fire.
That's the way it is.

Who will follow the trail of the loner?
The strong and yes the bold laid down their heads
in the field of battle....

Only a few remain in bright memory,
sober in mind and with a firm hand
within the ranks, in the ranks...

Where are you, freedom of the will?                          (воля волная -- nearly untranslatable phrase)
With whom are you now meeting,
sweet dawn? Answer me.

It's good with you, and bad without you.
My head and shoulders are patient
under the lash, the lash....

My sun, look at me:
my palm has become a fist.
If there is powder, give it fire.
That's the way it is.

(Originally written as protest song by Viktor Tsoi in the 1980's.)


2 comments:

Hans said...

Правда.

Iulia Flame said...

К сожалению.

Emerald

I let you go, but you remain where devotion lingers with leaf-curtains drawn; and dreams gather in pools of verdigris; where c...

popular on this site