Wednesday, August 06, 2014

A spilled tear






Polina Agureeva's voice. 

Lyrics by Joseph Brodsky


From the future, I'll bring you
A spilled tear
And set it into a ring.
When you are walking alone,
Take it, and wear it, on
Your ring finger, of course.

Oh, the others have husbands,
Rings of red gold,
Earrings of pearl.
And I have a tear
Of liquid turquoise,
And it dries up by morning.

Wear this ring, while it still
Can be seen from afar.
Later, another will appear.
If you get tired of wearing it,
You will have something to drop
To the bottom of the well at night.

Oh, the others have husbands,
Rings of red gold,
Earrings of pearl.
And I have a tear
Of liquid turquoise,
And it dries up by morning.

From the future, I'll bring you
A spilled tear
And set it into a ring.
When you are walking alone,
Take it, and wear it, on
Your ring finger, of course.

(My translation, adapted partly from a translation by Elena Garrett)

"Пролитую слезу
из будущего привезу,
вставлю ее в колечко.
Будешь глядеть одна,
надевай его на
безымянный, конечно".


"Ах, у других мужья,
перстеньки из рыжья,
серьги из перламутра.
А у меня - слеза,
жидкая бирюза,
просыхает под утро".


"Носи перстенек, пока
виден издалека;
потом другой подберется.
А надоест хранить,
будет что уронить
ночью на дно колодца".

2 comments:

Tim Buck said...

Almost too beautiful and profound. Brodsky, a wonder.

Iulia Flame said...

Yes. And Agureeva is the best interpreter I've found so far of those of his poems that have been adapted to sung "romances."

When I listen to such pieces, I realize: this is why I learned Russian. This.

#BiteSizeBallet No.5

Kitty Phetla, Joburg Ballet If I were the Indian Ocean or the Atlantic Ocean, I'd sneak bits of myself up onto the back of a cl...

popular on this site