Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Gaetano Donizetti, Lucia di Lammermoor - Maria Callas (1953)






Il Dolce Suono... Ardon Gli Incensi... Spargi D'Amaro Pianto



To An Unknown Homeland

So sing a silver thread from memory
    Of my soul's ache, when pining for a home;
An echo of sweet moon's melancholy,
    O, blissful crescent, seize me as your own!
Through misty mountains follow I your path,
    Through darkened groves I seek this argent fire,
In books illumined I avoid your wrath;
    Your purity, it covets my desire.
A city phosphorescent leads me on,
    I seek, and seeing, seek it once again,
Amid a thousand faces, only one:
    The blessed numen of my fellow man,
Emblazoned atlas of all thought and art--
    It holds a map to brightness in my heart.

2 comments:

Harlequin said...

Old recordings that they be,there is always some ethereal magic in the Callas voice (much the same as I find with Paul Robeson?)

Iulia Flame said...

Ahhhh yes. Thank you for the musical suggestion, Sir Arlecchino.

when trees as gilded as bees

Above the 61st parallel, the colors of Autumn mark our parting with the bees, and the last days of real warmth. I had begun to transl...

popular on this site