Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Levon Minassian (Nare Nare)


Levon Minassian, a classical pianist and composer, considers the ancient duduk his first musical instrument.




The Armenian alphabet appears in disguise as a series of calligraphic miniatures:







The poet Silva Zanoyan Merjanian writes, in Motherland:

look, I shed you in layers
wrapped in double helix
around my vision

I took off your clothes
and I walked naked into the ocean  
you, dry seaweed
holding on to my bruised fingernails
  
I set my sons free while still in womb
kissed their soft heels on their path at seventeen
daughters were not born to me
I whispered to them anyway
you are free
you are free

mountains shiver in echo of your centuries 
bouncing on a thousand church stones
but I am no more wrapped in your fury
nor your ache 
only in a yearning I do not understand.

--Silva Zanoyan Merjanian

5 comments:

Sigerson said...

It's always a treat to visit your blog, Jillian, such a showcase!

Iulia Flame said...

So many jewels of culture, so little time! :) Thanks Doc.

bluestorm said...

An ancient chant welling from deep within . . .
Thank you for sharing. xx

Iulia Flame said...

bless you for stopping and seeing, bluestorm xx

raw poetry by donna snyder said...

Have not yet watched the video, but the poem is an eye-popper. Thank you,flame.

En plein air - in memoriam Andrew Bellon

A dreamless sleep falls from the shimmering leaves. --Sappho fragment, tr. Andrew Bellon I changed, thickened, ...

popular on this site